Have any of you read the book Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto? It’s such a cute book to read with your kiddos. I usually communicatively read through it with my 2nd – 5th graders to work on those higher level language targets.
Here’s why I <3 this book:
- It’s great to show how another culture celebrates Christmas. I like to get my hispanic students to explain to the other kids what tamales are and how they celebrate Christmas with their family.
- A variety of skills can be targeted when reading through it. It’s perfect for sequencing, inferencing, predicting, and cause/effect.
- You see many different emotions in it – happy, excited, shame, sadness, shock, etc. Love this for my pragmatic kids.
- The illustrations are clear and expressive.
- It provides opportunity for lots of new vocabulary.