As some of you may know, I deal with bilingual kids in my district on a regular basis. I’m the “resident spanish therapist” for the parish and am involved in most, if not all, Spanish speech therapy cases. Because I am frequently assessing bilingual kids, I jumped at the chance to grab Tatyana’s Language Difference vs. Language Disorder when she asked me to review one of her products.
This 113 page packet is jammed packed with content on how to assess and intervene with bilingual children. The focus of the material is to provide evidence for your EBP when dealing with ELL kiddos. It will also give you some recommendations on how to intervene.
This packet is a great way to learn some good research-based information on bilingual language development and language differences and disorders. You can also teach yourself assessment and therapy strategies.
Some of the objectives include:
- Describe the sequence of typical bilingual development
- Explain the process of second language acquisition in children
- Contrast communication differences vs. disorders in bilingual children
- Discuss research driven evidence based practices in assessment of bilingual children
- Demonstrate potential limitations of standardized testing
- Explain concerns about reporting standard scores
- Illustrate how to use alternative methods of assessment to avoid bias
- Describe research driven practices in treatment of bilingual kids with confirmed language disorders.