When planning my for my therapy sessions, I always find myself googling speech and language books for different goals and themes. I’m a book therapy kind of girl, and I probably use them in every single session no matter the age of the student.
In order to keep track of all the speech and language books that I was finding, I thought I’d keep a running list here on the blog! That way you can have access to what I find as well. Feel free to contact me if you find a good book to add to the list because I’ll be adding to it often. Sooo, here’s my ultimate list of speech and language books by disorder!
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which just means I might get a small (tiny! 😂) percentage if you purchase through it.
- Dynamic Resources books – for phonological processes and more
- Articulation storybooks from NSS
- Phonics Faces Storybooks
- Book lists from Speech Sprouts
- Book list for extended phoneme practice from MSU
- Ben Has Something To Say
- Steggie’s Stutter
- Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand
- When Oliver Speaks
- Something to Say About Stuttering
- No David
- Little Critter Books
- Pigeon Books by Mo Willams
- Chalk (wordless books)
- The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
- Old lady books
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- If You Give a Mouse A Cookie
- The Napping House
- The Snowy Day
- Jan Brett books- The Mitten, The Hat, The Umbrella – I’ve also got a great book companion for The Umbrella if you need it!
Context Clues (vocabulary)
- Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
- Click Clack Crocodile’s Back
- Life of a Car (picture clues)
- Wordless books like Fossil (pictures clues)
- The Cow Tripped Over the Moon
- The Lorax
- Rube Goldberg’s Simple Normal Humdrum School Day
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin (or any If You Give books)
- Julia Cook books – You can check out my favorites at this blog post.
- Interrupting Chicken
- Howard Wigglebottom Learns to Listen
- I Like Myself
- Hands Off Harry
- The Way I Feel
Preschool (vocabulary, labeling, questions)
- Photograph books – first words or categories: animals, shapes, etc.
- 100 first words – Disney
- Richard Scarry Best Words Book Ever (vocabulary, functions)
- Where’s Spot (yes/no questions, animals) – digital and printable book companion is available.
- Goodnight Moon (home vocabulary) – digital and printable book companion available.
- Brown Bear Brown Bear (animals, colors, WH questions)
- Mouse Shapes and Mouse Paint (shapes, colors, simple sequence)
Preschool (basic concepts)
- Up Down and Around (prepositions)
- Inside Outside Upside Down (prepositions)
- Rosie’s Walk (prepositions)
- What’s Up Duck (opposites)
- Opposites by Sandra Boynton
- Big and Little by Steve Jenkins
- The Long and Short of It
- More Bears (quantity concepts)
- Bears on Wheels (quantity concepts)
What would you add to the list??